The Projects

The Schools

Additional links

A History of Marrickville Public School 1864-2008

http://www.marrickvil-p.schools.nsw.edu.au

Our Start

On August 1, 1864, an application was made for the establishment of a national school at Marrickville.
The school leased a chapel for £6 a year from The Primitive Methodist Church for 55 students.  It was too far from the nearest school at Newtown for the children to walk.  Later that year it was decided to apply for the establishment of a Public School.
Thomas Chalder (as in Chalder Street) offered 1 ¼ acres of land fronting Chapel St. The local community covered 1/3 of the cost of the new school building.
When the school was completed 138 pupils were enrolled. This was before compulsory education.
There were about 800 people living in Marrickville. They were market gardeners, city merchants, soap and candle makers, brick makers, a carrier, one baker and a publican.

In 1878 the Department of Education bought the old Council Chambers next door to the school.
In 1880 a new law stated that all children must attend school. Fees were imposed.
There were numerous typhoid fever outbreaks from 1880s to 1900s.
From 1894 to 1912 they ran evening school at Marrickville for older students.
Students only had to come to school for 140 days (now students attend for 201 days a year).
1900 – New girls’ school was erected.
1908 – Boys’ (330), girls’ (330) and infant (394) departments.
1913 – Junior technical and Domestic Science schools established.

And War Comes

World War I severely affected school especially as it created a teacher shortage.
Class sizes increased – in 1917 two classes had 82 and 85 students each.
1919 – An influenza epidemic was so serious it resulted in the temporary closing of the school as it was used as an emergency hospital.
In 1922 the old Town Hall in Illawarra Rd was bought for use as a Boys’ Junior Technical College. School enrolment – 1761

1927 – New Boys’ Primary building constructed.
1929 - Girls’ Intermediate High School established.
1949 – Junior Technical section moved to Dulwich Hill.  The Boys’ Department moved to Illawarra Rd.  The Girls’ Intermediate High and Primary stayed on Chalder Street (D Block)
1954 – Girls’ Junior High School established – moved in 1974.
1983 – The Boys' Department moves back to Chapel street.

Marricville students