The Projects

The Schools

Additional links

St Peters Public School

http://www.stpeters-p.schools.nsw.edu.au

St Peters Public School

The community of St Peters is very proud of the long history and traditions of St Peters Public School.
Our school began life in the 19th Century as a Church of England School. The Cooks River Church of England School at St Peters was in operation in 1853 and was probably in existence prior to that. For much of this period the teacher in charge was Robert William Guille, who became the first headmaster of St Peters Public School. Guille was appointed to Cooks River Anglican School and continued to serve at the school until its conversion to St Peters Public School in 1881. He remained as headmaster of St Peters until his retirement in November 1895.
The school originally operated in two rooms at the rear of the church hall on the corner of Victoria St and Cooks River Rd (now the Princes Highway). The school was situated 30 metres from the Church of St Peters (pictured above) and like most denominational schools, operated as an arm of the local church.
In 1863 the total enrolment was 135 pupils, the numbers increased rapidly until 1867 when 233 pupils were enrolled. Student numbers gradually increased until, by 1881, there were 494 students. Increasing enrolments and the inability of the church to provide additional accommodation led to the realisation that the parish church could not match the facilities of the public school system. The District Education Inspector, McCredie, recommended in 1879 that St Peters be converted into a public school as a means of better serving the growing number of school children in the district. A local resident, Dr C.A. Tucker, wrote to the Department of Education in June 1881, urging the necessity of establishing a public school at St Peters.
Approval for the conversion of the Anglican school to a public school was given in August 1881 and the transfer was completed in November 1881 - St Peters Public School was born!
Important and interesting events in the school history since 1881
1886 - new school buildings constructed to accommodate growing enrolments
1890 - further building construction to accommodate 200 students
1891 - an acre of land purchased from Mr J Hanks for the "enlargement and beautification of school site".
1893 - cadet corps operating at the school
1895 - headmaster, Robert Guille retires after 32 years of service
1896 - swimming club starts